Greetings to students in ASTR 4880 and PHYS 5880 from the instructor, Nancy Morrison.
This page is intended to provide a backup copy of the materials displayed in lecture, announcements relevant to the class, and access to the wealth of astronomical information on the World Wide Web.
Latest update: 12/8/08 15:12
Course documents, PDF unless otherwise noted:
- Syllabus (92 KB)
- Observing manual (slightly revised from what was handed out in class, 157 KB)
- Introductory IRAF manual, updated (196 KB)
- Instructions for connecting to X windows on astro1, updated (61 KB)
- Lab 1 (142 KB); observing log sheets for Lab 1 (100 KB)
- Homework 1, due October 8 (456 KB)
- Lab 2, due October 22 (340 KB)
- Lab 3, due November 24 (300 KB)
- Homework 2, due November 19 (92 KB)
- Lab 4, due December 15 (315 KB). Supplementary material: Brown et al. 1994, Publ. Astr. Soc. Pacific, 106, 1285 (1.1 MB)
Since this course is writing intensive for one of you, here are some links to helpful Web sites on writing. I particularly recommend The Elements of Style, either on the following site or in book form.
Recommended introductory book on statistics and error analysis: John R. Taylor, An Introduction to Error Analysis (Carlson library call number QC39 .T4 1997)
Links to Images Shown in Class - Fall 2008 - most recent first
Monday, December 8, 2008 --- Jim Kaler's guide to the constellations
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 --- Article on optical fibers (figure 7, p. 49, shown in class; 676 KB full article)