LET THERE BE LIGHT
Lux æterna luceat eis
Expanding our understanding of LIGHT (it
has so many properties)
- We see with it.
- It is self-perpetuating and propagates through
- By its presence, it fills space so it is not
- It is itself the stuff that causes electric
and magnetic fields, and is the fundamental cause of forces among charged
- It is made up of particles (photons) that
have a specific position, velocity, direction, spin, energy, momentum,
angular momentum (but no mass).
- These particles possess an intrinsic
periodicity with a frequency and a wavelength.
- They also possess coherent group properties, and
all tend to do the same thing at the same time (in contrast to electrons,
where no two do the same thing at the same time).
- The fact that photons move with a finite speed
distorts our perceptions.
- Visual perceptions (& electromagnetic
forces) depend on our relative
distances from, and our motion relative to, the objects that
we see with this light.
- Thus we tend to underestimate distances and
overestimate times and masses.
- Since electric fields are a game-of-catch
between charged particles, moving charges cause photons to emanate from
a place where the charge now isn't, which give rise to the magnetic field.
LIGHT FROM SOLIDS vs LIGHT FROM GASES
- Light from a heated solid comes in a continuous
distribution of colors indicating only the temperature and not the composition.
- Light from a heated gas contains only certain
colors, indicative of the elemental constituency.